Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Welcome

This is 'International Experiements in Architecture' the portal blog to various projects.

JelloSpace is by far the most developed and interactive site.

I have set up on the left hand corner of the screen a variety of links that I use frequently, that way I have easy access and this can be my "homepage away from home".

Less Organization
Because it links to everything else, this page tends to be the most un-organized, since it is the catchall for the rest of the pages.

Equals free form ideas
functioning as a jack-of-all-my-blogs this blog is source material, unfiltered ideas, links, websites that I want to write down when I'm away from my own computer, bookmarks and don't want to write myself an email I have to delete or lose later

Specific Pages for Specific Ideas
Each of the linked to pages on the left has a specific project, as I read through my material I file it under the desired page, slowly each page starts to take shape, characteristics, as it gets fleshed out. Each idea gets it's own mini-blog and develops from there.

Keeping progress
This process allows me to track the progress and development of each idea, when I was working on it, what I thought was important, and only the vital information stays with that mini-blog. All the other strata can be kept here, and the idea/project can stand alone free of clutter.

Access for Critique
The other benefit, and I think this is the best use for the 'Blog' is that besides being a homebase of operations for me it means that my friends and mentors have the same amount of access. Instead of filling up their inbox with wildly huge image files, the images, the information are kept here, which means that they can browse to what their most interested in, delve and into it, instead of sifting through emails, panning around trying to piece a photo or image together in their head.

Ease of Access Means Freer Discussion
So what do you want from a critic? From your fellow classmates?

You want feedback. You need feedback.

And let face it thesis students and thesis advisors couldn't have a more opposite schedule. You work at night, right when we're asleep, then your sleepy, the entire time our brains are at the ready. Your in studio, we're not and vice-versa. Well then, lets find a way we can work around it.

The blog lets you post what issues are going on, we can access it, read through it, and give you a response. Even better so can the rest of your team. Even better than that we can read what everyone is saying, and the conversation builds. That's the strength of this process.

Armed with a digital camera and an internet connection we can discuss architecture, ideas, theory, you-name it regardless of location and time.

It is so easy to give responses that there's no excuse not to (you can even set up your blog to notify you when someone has responded, via email, text, instant message, etc.)


Best part - it's as easy as checking email, and a whole lot faster than Blackboard.
If you know how to surf the internet you can set one of these blogs up. It's all point and click and you can spend your time on the project, not on learning the intricacies of Blackboard, or wait for it to completely reload each page as you try to move through it.

Result: the Process Moves Forward
This way you get to do what you need to do, you can work, we can critique, we can offer feedback. You can keep your momentum.

HOW TO DO IT?
Get yourself a Gmail account (although you don't have to)
Go to www.blogspot.com
Fill out the form,
pic a format,
a name for your blog and your done, you can start posting no waiting






No comments: